Poisoning can occur from swallowing plastic resin hardener. Resin hardener fumes may also be poisonous.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poisoning. If you or someone you are with is poisoned, call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Epoxy and resin can be poisonous if they are swallowed, or if their fumes are breathed in.
Plastic resin hardeners are found in various epoxy and resin products.
Below are symptoms of poisoning from plastic resin hardeners in different parts of the body.
Seek emergency medical help right away. If the resin is on the skin, wash the area thoroughly for at least 15 minutes. Contact poison control for further information.
Before Calling Emergency
Have this information ready:
The person's age, weight, and condition
Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
The time it was swallowed or fumes were breathed in
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The person may receive:
Blood and urine tests
Breathing support, including oxygen, tube through the mouth into the throat, and breathing machine
Bronchoscopy (camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs)
Endoscopy (camera down the throat to see burns to the esophagus and stomach)
EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
Intravenous (through a vein) fluids
Medicine to treat symptoms
Surgery to remove burned skin (debridement)
Tube through the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
Washing of the skin (irrigation) every few hours for several days
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed or breathed in, and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Swallowing this type of poison can have severe effects on many parts of the body. Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible.
The outcome depends on the extent of this damage. Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the poison was swallowed. Death may occur up to a month later. Treatment may require removal of part of the esophagus and stomach.
Elijah IE, Sanford AP, Lee JO. Chemical burns. In: Gerndon DN, Jones JH, eds. Total Burn Care. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2012:chap 41.
Holland MG. Occupational toxicology. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2007:chap 82.
Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.