Plastic casting resins are liquid plastics, such as epoxy. Poisoning can occur from swallowing plastic casting resin. Resin fumes may also be poisonous.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poisoning. If you or someone you are with is poisoned, call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Epoxy poisoning; Resin poisoning
Epoxy and resin can be poisonous if they are swallowed or their fumes are breathed in.
Plastic casting resins are found in various plastic casting resin products.
Below are symptoms of poisoning from plastic casting resin in different parts of the body.
Airways and lungs
Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
Severe pain in the throat
Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
Loss of vision
Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
Seek medical help right away. DO NOT make a person throw up unless poison control or a health care provider tells you to do so.
If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.
Before Calling Emergency
Have this information ready:
The person's age, weight, and condition
Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
The time it was swallowed
The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The person may receive:
Blood and urine tests
Breathing support, including oxygen, a tube through the mouth into the throat, and a breathing machine
EKG (electrocardiogram or heart tracing)
Bronchoscopy, camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs
Endoscopy, camera down the throat to see the extent of burns to the esophagus and stomach
Intravenous fluids (through a vein)
Medicine to treat symptoms
Surgery to remove burned skin (debridement)
Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
Washing of the skin (irrigation), perhaps every few hours for several days
How well a person does depends on the amount of poison they swallowed and how quickly they receive treatment. The faster a person gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Swallowing such poisons can have severe effects on many parts of the body. Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible. Their outcome depends on the amount of damage. Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after swallowing the poison. Death may occur as long as a month later. Treatment may require removal of part of the esophagus and stomach.
Elijah IE, Sanford AP, Lee JO. Chemical burns. In: Herndon DN, Jones JH, eds. Total Burn Care. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2012:chap 41.
Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.