|CONWAY-(April 29, 2011)-Scholarships were awarded to 17 area health care students totaling $23,400 from the Conway Regional Health Foundation today.
The students received scholarships based on grade point average, leadership ability, activities and financial need. Scholarship recipients and their families were recognized during a reception in the Conway Regional Women’s Center.
During the reception, Conway Regional President and CEO Jim Lambert recognized the support of the medical staff which donated funds for seven of the scholarships as well as several private scholarship donors. Mr. Lambert said, “This is a great example of how physicians and other donors can give back to the community through contributions to the Health Foundation. This type of support is essential to the future of health care in our community.”
Many area students applied for these scholarships. Mr. Lambert said, “These were difficult decisions because of the quality of the applicants.” He noted that the Scholarship Committee spent a lengthy period of time interviewing applicants and reading essays and reference letters.
The six Conway Regional Medical Staff recipients are:
• Sunni Elizabeth Cottrell is pursuing a master’s degree in Speech Language Pathology at UCA. She is a graduate of Watson Chapel High School in Pine Bluff.
• Brandi Catherine Elsinger of Conway is a senior at St. Joseph High School who plans to pursue a degree in Nursing at UCA.
• Whitney Nicole Holloway is a graduate student in the Occupational Therapy program at UCA. She is a graduate of Pine Bluff High School.
• Amanda Mathews of Conway is a senior at St. Joseph High School. She will work toward a bachelor’s degree in Nursing at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville this fall.
• Amanda Sue Pippinger of Conway is pursuing a master’s degree in Occupational Therapy at UCA. She is a graduate of Nettleton High School in Jonesboro.
• Bonnie Sutton of Conway is working toward a master’s degree in Speech Language Pathology at UCA. She is a graduate of JA Fair High School in Little Rock.
Another medical staff scholarship was named after Dr. William Furlow. Although retired, Dr. Furlow continues to provide clinical education and advice to the health system. The recipient is Megan Marie Davari of Conway who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from UCA. She is a graduate of Mills High School in Little Rock.
• Meghan Jane Mallett of Conway is working toward becoming a nurse practitioner. She is a registered nurse in Labor and Delivery at Conway Regional. She holds bachelor’s degrees in Nursing and in Psychology from UCA. She is also a graduate of Marion High School.
• Krystal Landra Gunter of Ward plans to work toward a Pre-pharmacy degree at UAMS. She is a medical laboratory technician in the Conway Regional Clinical Laboratory and is a graduate of Cabot High School.
The Eleanor Duncan Nursing Scholarship memorializes a highly-respected oncology nurse at Conway Regional. Kristina Kemp of Conway is the recipient this year. She is working toward a bachelor’s degree in Nursing from UCA. She is a graduate of Marvell Academy in Marvell, AR.
Two scholarships are provided through Conway Regional’s Nursing Retention and Recruitment Committee. Individual employees make contributions to the fund and the committee holds fundraisers to help build the scholarships.
• Clemmie Cook Nursing Scholarship, Jennifer Cooper of North Little Rock has been accepted into the LPN to RN program in the UALR School of Nursing. She works as an LPN at Conway Regional.
•The Conway Regional Nursing Scholarship was awarded to Trista Lee Sneed of Heber Springs who is pursuing a degree in licensed practical nursing at ASU-Heber Springs. She works as a surgical tech in the Ambulatory Surgery Department at Conway Regional.
The John and Janice Robbins Scholarship is funded by the Conway Regional Women’s Council in honor of contributions to the community made by the former president and CEO of Conway Regional and his wife. This year’s recipient is Jenny Beth Lesley of Conway who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree with an occupational therapy emphasis at UCA. She is a graduate of Alma High School.
The Lauton Hall Memorial Scholarship memorializes the late father-in-law of former Conway Regional President and CEO John Robbins. Bryan Colby Gasaway of Conway will receive the scholarship this year. He is working toward a doctorate in Physical Therapy at UCA.
Jeffery Grey Hartley of Conway was awarded the Jon Scott McMahan Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship is funded in memory of the late Jon Scott McMahan, a division fire chief with the Conway Fire Department and a long-time EMT in Conway. Mr. Hartley is working toward a bachelor’s degree in Nursing from UCA. He holds state and national Emergency Medical Technician licenses.
The Lawanna Thessing Laboratory Scholarship honors a highly-respected employee in the Conway Regional Clinical Laboratory and was awarded to Saki Fukuda, a native of Yokohama, Japan, who is seeking a bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology from UCA.
The Mary Ann Stiefvater Scholarship honors the 50-year leader of Conway Regional’s medical information services. This year it was awarded to LeAnnia Gayle Michael of Booneville who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville. She is a graduate of Booneville High School.
Anyone who is interested in contributing toward a health care scholarship fund at Conway Regional can contact Dot Welch, Associate Director of the Conway Regional Health Foundation, at 501-513-5771.